Massey’s Bachelor of Health Science will prepare you to address the big health challenges facing the nation and the world in the 21st century.
Massey’s Bachelor of Health Science is the most comprehensive programme of its kind in the country. Its multidisciplinary foundation will prepare you to make a creative and practical contribution to improving the health of individuals, communities and nations.
The health industry needs you
There is a growing need for people who understand personal, workplace and community health issues in today’s interconnected and complex world. Massey’s Bachelor of Health Science will give you the skills you need to succeed.
With an interdisciplinary approach, you’ll gain a good understanding of the biological and social bases of 21st century health issues. You’ll be able to apply your multidisciplinary skills to explore solutions, create interventions, critically evaluate current practices and policies, and develop new ideas for bettering health.
The Bachelor of Health Science focuses on communication and critical-thinking skills, and will give you an understanding of research methods and the principles and practices of epidemiology. It will help you build your career in any of New Zealand’s major health sectors.
Improve the nation’s health
You’ll get an understanding of the many dimensions of personal and population health and healthcare in New Zealand. You’ll learn to critically evaluate information about health and wellbeing, and community and population health. With a solid grounding in health science, you’ll be perfectly placed to contribute to improving the nation’s health from day one in the workplace.
Follow your interests
It’s easy to build a degree around your special interests at Massey. Our Bachelor of Health Science offers the largest and most comprehensive suite of health majors and minors in New Zealand to give you lots of flexibility. You can follow your specific interests; eg, a major in health promotion with a minor in health and ageing, or a major in psychology with a minor in rehabilitation, or a major in occupational health and safety with a minor in ergonomics.
Majors or endorsements
- Bachelor of Health Science (Environmental Health)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Health Promotion)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Integrated Human Health)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Occupational Health and Safety)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Psychology)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Public Health)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Rehabilitation)
- 250.131 Introduction to Human Health
- 214.101 Human Bioscience: Normal Body Function
- 250.100 Introduction to Communication in Health
- 250.201 Health Inequalities and Maori Health
- 214.212 Research Methods in the Health Sciences or 175.203 Introduction to Psychological Research for Psychology Majors only
- 250.205 Principles and Practices of Human Epidemiology
- 250.301 Systems Thinking for Health
- 250.331 Health of Communities
Massey has a long history of health science education. We were the first university in New Zealand to offer a qualification in health science. With a Bachelor of Health Science, you’ll be well prepared to hit the ground running in the health industry. This is a great programme to find an exciting and rewarding career. Depending on your major, you could work in any of the following:
- Consultancy and advisory positions
- Disaster and emergency management
- Drinking water assessment
- Environmental health consultancy and auditing
- Food safety consultancy and auditing
- Health and safety in commercial and non-governmental organisations
- Health promotion and protection agencies
- Health research
- Injury prevention agencies
- Iwi authorities
- Local and central government (environment health officer, health protection officer, policy and advisory roles)
- Management of hazardous substances and toxic chemicals
- Medical centres and hospitals
- Physiotherapy clinics
- Prison service
- Public health agencies
- Quality assurance
- Rehabilitation and disability support agencies
- Secondary school teaching
- Waste and water quality management
There are no special entry requirements beyond those that qualify you for study at University. Computer literacy is recommended. If you do not have a Science or Mathematics background, you can get a head start in your studies by taking foundation courses in Science or Mathematics.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 9, 2017