Medical Laboratory Science Department
As a Medical Laboratory Scientist, you will be a LIFESAVER! Most medical decisions are based on laboratory test results generated by Medical Laboratory Scientists (formerly known as Medical Technologists or Clinical Laboratory Scientists). They apply skill and instrumentation to analyze blood cells and body fluids, to identify disease-causing bacteria and viruses, and to perform testing prior to transfusions and transplantation. MLS graduates are employed primarily in hospital laboratories, but also enjoy career opportunities in biomedical research, forensics, biotechnology, toxicology, health care administration, pharmaceuticals, and other industries. An MLS degree also provides excellent preparation for medical, dental, or graduate school. The Medical Laboratory Science program includes coursework and laboratory instruction in clinical chemistry, medical microbiology, hematology, clinical immunology and immunohematology (blood banking). MLS students experience a one-semester clinical internship at one or more of our affiliated Louisville-area hospitals.
Bellarmine MLS graduates will:
- Establish a personal scientific knowledge base that prepares them to read, to interpret, and to utilize scientific knowledge in clinical practice.
- Demonstrate critical thinking abilities.
- Perform laboratory tests with accuracy and precision.
- Demonstrate appropriate ethical and professional behavior.
The Bachelor of Health Science in Medical Laboratory Science includes coursework and laboratory instruction in clinical chemistry, medical microbiology, hematology, clinical immunology, and immunohematology (blood banking).MLS students complete a one-semester clinical internship at one or more of our affiliated Louisville-area hospitals. The 4-year Practitioner degree program for undergraduates begins with 2 years of general education requirements and science prerequisites. Students apply for admission to the MLS program during the sophomore year and spend junior and senior years in the professional program. The Medical Laboratory Science Department also offers a pre-professional option for students interested in medical or graduate school, and a visiting student program for affiliated universities.
Undergraduate MLS majors have the opportunity to complete a dual BHS/MHS program, which awards the student a Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science after four years and then allows for completion of the Master’s of Health Science in one additional year. Students should apply for this program after their junior year (please refer to the MHS catalog for admission requirements).
The goal of Bellarmine University’s MLS program is to produce clinical practitioners who are competent for current practice and are prepared to grow with the future of clinical laboratory science. Bellarmine MLS graduates will contribute to the Louisville community and beyond, in clinical practice as well as in service to others and to their profession. Our graduates will demonstrate problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, an understanding of issues and consideration of values in healthcare, and will hold a high standard of scholarship and integrity.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum science-math grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Official transcripts for all college course work.
- An application for admission to the Medical Laboratory Science degree program, two letters of recommendation and personal statement. (Note: admission to Bellarmine University does not automatically admit a student into the Medical Laboratory Science Program.)
- A personal interview, if requested by the MLS Admissions Committee.
Language Proficiency: Language proficiency is required to ensure that students in healthcare professions are able to communicate with a diverse population. The Medical Laboratory Science program accepts one of the following as evidence of required language proficiency:
- TOEFL-iBT (internet-based test) and receive a total score of 83 or higher AND a score of 26 or higher on the speaking test, OR
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a total band score of 7 or higher AND a speaking band score of 8 or higher, OR
- Language training at an approved center. Bellarmine University recognizes the following standards and centers: English Language Services level 112 (http://www.els.edu/en); Interlink Level 5 (http://interlink.edu/); Intensive Language Program at Indiana University Level 6 (http://iep.indiana.edu/); other centers may be approved at the discretion of the Admission, Progression, and Graduation committee of the Department of Medical Laboratory Science.
International students in the following categories are exempt from language proficiency requirements:
- Students who are citizens of or have completed a degree from a TOEFL exempt country.
- Students who have a secondary or high school diploma earned in TOEFL exempt countries.
- International students who have completed at least one year of full-time university study or its equivalent (i.e., a minimum of 24 earned credit hours or its equivalent) and earned a 2.0 GPA in a TOEFL exempt country.
Only official score reports will be accepted.
Four Year Practitioner Track Requirements
The Bachelor of Health Science in Medical Laboratory Science is designed to facilitate students’ acquisition of knowledge, analytical skills and technical expertise in clinical chemistry, medical microbiology, immunohematology, hematology, and clinical immunology. The traditional degree program includes two years of general education requirements and biology and chemistry prerequisites. Students apply for the Medical Laboratory Science program in their sophomore year and enter during their junior year for two years of specialized study including a clinical practicum at an affiliated Louisville-area hospital. Upon successful completion of the degree program, graduates are eligible for national Board examinations.
MLS graduates are employed primarily in hospital laboratories, but also enjoy career opportunities in research, forensics, biotechnology, toxicology, medical research, health care administration, pharmaceuticals, and other industries. Students who are interested in medical, dental, veterinary or graduate school are well advised to consider earning a degree in Medical Laboratory Science. The degree program provides an excellent foundation in diagnostic medicine and pathophysiology. The many Medical Laboratory Science graduates who have pursued further education enthusiastically attest to the intellectual and experiential advantages they enjoyed over their fellow medical, dental, or graduate students.
About the School
Bellarmine University is a vibrant community of educational excellence and ethical awareness that consistently ranks among the nation's best colleges and universities. Our students pursue an education ... Read More