About the Program
Degree: Bachelor of Health Care
Training type: Full-time studies
Length: 210 credits
Annual intake: 40
Application period: 9 Jan 2017 - 24 Jan 2018 Meet people from around the world, learn about different cultures and at the same time study to be a competent nurse! You will learn to plan, implement and develop health-promoting, preventative, healing and rehabilitative work in health care. You can work in basic health care, social welfare or specialized health care, private companies, organizations, international positions in the field or as an entrepreneur. The content of the Nursing Studies The nursing studies are based on a personal study plan, which allows you to build your own career path. The education in Degree Programme in Nursing is highly esteemed and meets the strict quality requirements set in the EU legislation - A Bachelor of Health Care is a Registered Nurse. Practical training, which represents one-third of the nursing studies, is implemented in several phases in various healthcare environments. This allows you to acquire a deep understanding and a wide view of the different possibilities that a career in nursing can offer. Part of the practical training can also be completed abroad. Basic Studies
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Research studies
- Language studies
- Common basic courses in health and social studies
- Clienthood in the field of health and social services
- Health promotion and well-being
- Evidence-based nursing
- Health promotion
- Clinical nursing
- Family oriented nursing
- Multiprofessional nursing
Implementation of the Studies The studies are very practically-oriented and contain lectures, exams, group work, online studies, practical training that promotes vocational skills and participation in working-life projects. We offer modern healthcare lab environments where you learn skills, knowledge, and decision-making together with our teachers, experts, and fellow multi-professional students. Applicant's Health Issues The person applying for a place to study health and social studies (Nursing) must meet certain health requirements to be able to study and work in the field. The applicant should consider the following points:
- studying and working in this field requires a good mental health
- diseases of the locomotive organs, chronic skin diseases, and allergies may constitute a problem during the studies or later in actual work, and diseases transmitted through blood may restrict the possibilities to work in the field
- this field is not suitable for people with alcohol or substance abuse problems
Eligibility for Further Studies After graduation as Bachelor of Health Care and three years of relevant work experience, you will be eligible for the master's degree programmes offered by Finnish universities of applied sciences. You can also develop additional competencies through participation in continuing education programmes, which can be completed while working. If you consider a career in teaching, you can apply for admission to the Teacher Education College. The graduates of the master's degree programmes offered by Finnish universities of applied sciences are eligible for admission to post-graduate studies at universities. The universities set their admission criteria individually for each case. Skills Needed in Nursing Studies You are expected to
- have good English skills
- actively plan your studies
- be interested in co-operation with other people
- have good social skills.
Career Opportunities As a nurse, you can work in nursing specialist positions, for example, at the receptions and wards of health care centers, in-home care, in companies of the nursing and caring field, specialized health care clinics, wards, operating rooms, mental health offices and international tasks. Student Testimonial "JAMK has taught me the many practical skills and educational knowledge for my future profession as a registered nurse. From my point of view, the educational process of JAMK University of Applied Sciences has worked extremely well to prepare me for the tasks I will be performing in my future position." You Chen, Class of 2015
How to Apply
- Apply online www.studyinfo.fi 10 – 25 January 2017 by 3:00 p.m. Finnish time (UTC+2).
- Applicants applying with non-Finnish qualifications must send the required enclosures to their first-preference UAS admission services by 8 February 2017 by 3:00 p.m. Finnish time (UTC+2) at the latest.
- copies of the original degree certificates (high school/secondary school)
- authorized translation of the certificate if needed (in English, Finnish or Swedish, the translation must have the translators' signature and stamp)
- All eligible applicants are invited to entrance examinations. Invitations to entrance examination or decisions on eligibility are sent by email at the end of March.
- Entrance examinations are arranged in April. The invitation letter (email) will include all the details about time, location, and special arrangements.
- Results are announced on 30 June 2017, at the latest.
- If you are admitted, start visa/residence permit application procedure (if needed) immediately at the beginning of June.
- If you are admitted, you must confirm your study place by 14 July 2017 by 3:00 p.m. Finnish time (UTC+2), at the latest. If you do not return the form on time, you will lose the study place.
- If you have applied with an upper secondary education completed in Finland (Suomalainen ylioppilastutkinto tai ammatillinen tutkinto), please send a copy of your educational certificate(s) to us by 14 July 2017 at 3:00 p.m. at the latest.
- Please remember that your admission is conditional until your relevant original certificates have been checked. The polytechnic/UAS may withdraw the admission if an applicant has given false information or has forged document(s).
- Studies will begin in the middle of August 2017. Please, arrive in Jyväskylä by that time!
- Concerning the Degree Programme in Nursing JAMK may require a criminal record from the students whose practical training includes working with minors (under 18-year-olds). Furthermore, please check the health requirements in DP in Nursing.
- We communicate by email, so please remember to type your email address correctly into your application! Check your email regularly, including your spam and junk folders.
- Notice, that there is tuition fee for NON-EU/EEA-citizens.
- Lukuvuosimaksuja ei ole suomalaisille tai muiden EU-maiden kansalaisille!
Cost & Fees
Tuition fee for non-EU/ETA students is €8,000/academic year
EU students do NOT pay tuition
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 17, 2018