First three years of the medical education are spent at the Rumelifeneri Campus of Koç University, whereas clinical education is given at the Koç University Training and Research Hospital that became operational in September 2014. The Health Sciences Campus that spans over an area of 220.000 m2 includes the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, research laboratories, and the Advanced Learning Center. The objective of the Health Sciences Campus is to contribute to the creation of qualified human capital in the healthcare sector with its innovative approach and dynamic team at North American standards.
Our School, preferred by outstanding students of the university entrance examination since the beginning, enrols 15 full scholarships, 25 half scholarship, overall 40 students each year.
One of the biggest advantages of medical education with small number of students is higher number of academic faculty per student. This advantage gives students opportunity to conduct scientific research in their areas of interest and privilege to actively participate in clinical works. Presenting results of their research in international scientific congresses gives our students a chance of meeting the scientific community at an early stage of their career. As a result, Koç University School of Medicine students graduate as research-oriented physicians following and applying innovations in medicine.
Another mission of our medical education is to bring up physicians with international qualifications. In the end of their third year, all our students are supported to take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).
Aggregating exquisite faculty with outstanding students, our School gets high grades in Examination for Specialty in Medicine and United States Medical Licensing Examination, which is another indication of our significant achievement.
The Medicine program at Koç University features:
- Duration: 6 years
- The language of instruction: all courses are taught in English but students are required to learn Turkish by the third year to be able to interact with patients at our university hospital.
- Degree awarded: Medical Doctor (MD) diploma.
- Recognition of the degree abroad: Koç University School of Medicine is included in the approved schools' lists of ECFMG (for USA Clinical Master applications), California Medical Board and GMC (for UK Clinical Master applications).
Living costs, and scholarships
- On-campus dormitory accommodation ranges between 2.000 – 5.500 USD per academic year.
- Living costs (food, local travel, books, etc) can be approximately 5.000 USD per academic year.
There are partial tuition scholarships available for international students based on academic merit.
You only need to submit your online application and indicate in your motivation letter that you would like to be considered for a scholarship and briefly explain why.
The faculty evaluation committee then decides on admission and scholarship to be awarded to a candidate.
We recommend that you apply as early as possible for a better chance at receiving a scholarship.
- MCAT – preferred minimum 505 points or SAT exam score of 1410 points or higher
- TOEFL exam score of 80 points or higher (if available)
- 2 recommendation letters
- a motivation letter
- high school diploma and transcripts
You upload all this information to our online application system.