Start today for tomorrow’s career
Dental graduates are health care professionals to diagnose and treat oral diseases and infections. They restore cavities, perform scaling and root canal treatment, extract and replace missing teeth, place implants and perform other surgical and non-surgical procedures. Dentists play an important role to improve the oral health care of the community by providing information and awareness on proper oral health care practices.
Graduates can continue their career as a general practitioner in their respective countries, bypassing respective exams or continue postgraduate training.
Become a dentist and promote oral health care
Dentistry is the evaluation, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders, and conditions of the oral cavity, maxillofacial area and the adjacent and associated structures, and their impact on the human body.
A radiant smile is a precious gift you can offer
RAKMHSU’s Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is a 5-year program. First 2 years are for Basic Sciences. In the 3rd year, pre-clinical components are elaborated to prepare students to efficiently work on patients. This is followed by 2 years of dental training where students provide comprehensive dental care to patients under the supervision of qualifies staff.
An internship is mandatory for expatriates who wish to practice dentistry in UAE. However, the students who wish to continue for internship/post-graduation in other countries have to fulfill the requirements of that country.
The curriculum has been developed to cultivate internationally competent oral health care professionals. They will be specially trained to improve the oral health status of the community through outreach programs, and contributing research to the understanding of its biological, behavioral, biomedical and clinical aspects.
Furthermore, the curriculum prepares dental students for evidence-based dental practice in a changing healthcare environment, acquiring basic medical and dental knowledge and the skills that will allow the professional, ethical and humane practice of dentistry.
The program is focused on promoting the acquisition of expertise, attitude, and behavior that facilitate effective and appropriate interaction with patients and colleagues. Its goal is to produce caring, knowledgeable, competent and skillful oral specialists who recognize and accept the obligation to practice in the best interest of patients at all times.
Admission to all programs is based entirely on merit. Admissions are open to students of all nationalities.
An aggregate of 80% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in 12th standard marks / UAE NGSSE/ Equivalent with a minimum of 70% each in Physics, Chemistry and Biology individually.
Admission requirements/equivalencies for various 12th-grade curriculum are described below under serial titled ‘Examples of Secondary School Certificates’.
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in English equivalent to a TOEFL score of 500 in paper-based test, 173 in computer-based, 61 in internet-based or its equivalent such as IELTS score of 5 Or Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) score of 41 or Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA) score range of 36 – 41 is mandatory for entry to undergraduate BDS program.
- The University reserves the right to refuse admission to any candidate without assigning any reason. The decision of the Admissions Committee in the matters of admission shall be final.
- The jurisdiction in respect of all legal matters in this connection shall be at Ras Al Khaimah.
Students having qualifications equivalent to 12th Grade/NGSSE
The University welcomes students of all nationalities. As there is a vast difference in the grading system and curriculum of various international examinations, all such applications are examined on a case-by-case basis. In this connection, the College realizes that the grading system followed in the UAE cannot be automatically extended to examination systems outside the country. The candidates should enclose with their application, documents explaining grading/marking system and calculation of cumulative grade point average/aggregate percentage of marks along with their transcript/marks sheet. Further, the candidates must send a copy of curriculum and rules and regulations for the examinations they have passed well in advance to enable the University to determine their eligibility for admissions. Students having such qualifications should adopt the following method to compute the aggregate marks in 3 courses Physics, Chemistry and Biology:
- If actual marks are given in the transcript, the marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are to be totaled for computing aggregate.
- If actual marks, as well as the grades, are given in the transcript, actual marks in these 3 subjects are to be taken for computing aggregate.
- If grades and range of marks for each grade is given in the transcript, mean of the range of marks are to be taken for computing aggregate.
- If grades are only given in the transcript, the student should obtain from appropriate authority equivalent marks/range of marks for the grades.
- If the evaluation is done by any other method, the student should explain the evaluation system and should obtain from appropriate authority equivalent marks/range of marks for such evaluation.
- Students should send the copies of transcript/marks sheet with relevant documents directly to the Admissions Department.
Recognized Secondary School Certificates
The minimum admission requirements depend on the applicant’s type of secondary education program and certificate. RAKMHSU recognizes secondary school certificates awarded by Ministry of Education and by private secondary schools that are recognized by their host countries. The University also accepts certificates awarded by recognized authorities of national and international boards.
Some countries award two levels of secondary school certificates, in which case, RAKMHSU will recognize the higher level certificate.
In all cases, only courses classified as academic or a combination of Physics, Chemistry and Biology are accepted for admission consideration and the calculation of the aggregate.
- A merit list is prepared in the descending order of the merit of the candidates based on their aggregate percentage of marks in the Qualifying Examination / 12th standard, as mentioned in II above.
- From this merit list, based on the annual intake, candidates will be admitted.
- Candidates who are selected for admission will receive the Admission Offer Letter from the University. If the candidate is accepting the offer of admission, he/she must comply with all the requirements specified in the Admission Offer Letter including submission of required documents and payment of fee on or before the stipulated date mentioned in the Admission Offer Letter.
- On compliance with the above, the candidate will receive intimation from the University regarding further course of action to be taken by him/her for joining the University.
- The candidates should strictly adhere to the deadlines indicated for admission.
- If for any reason, a candidate could not send his/her application so as to reach the University within the stipulated deadline and if he/she is still desirous of being considered for admission, he/she is required to send along with his/her application all the enclosures and requisite fee as mentioned under IX, Instructions to Applicants (page 7). Late applicants can be considered for admission if seats are still available.
- Admissions are offered to the candidates subject to the compliance of all requirements specified in the Admission Offer Letter.
- All the documents submitted by the candidates will be verified with the originals submitted by the candidates on the date of Registration and Orientation. In case of non-compliance of any of the admission criteria, the admission of the candidate will automatically stand canceled.
RAKCODS BDS program is accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, UAE and is also listed in the EMRO WHO listing (WHO Directory of Dental Schools).The college is an approved training center for MFDS from Royal College of Surgeons Ireland.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 18, 2018