Bachelor in Biomedical Sciences (BSc)
Our BSc Honours Biomedical Science degree course appeals to students with a science background who are interested in a career in hospital laboratories, scientific research or further study.
This is a dynamic course taught by enthusiastic lecturers and backed by experts in the field. Our labs and teaching rooms are new and built to our own specification to ensure that you have the best possible experience, and we have capped the number of students we take to ensure small classes receiving a personally tailored learning experience.
The degree is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science, giving students a professional qualification that can take them onto a recognised career path.
Middlesex recently opened its state-of-the-art bioanalytical laboratories for teaching and research. With investment totalling £3 million the facilities match, and in some cases surpass, those offered at UK medical schools.
The labs provide the next generation of scientific instrumentation for molecular analysis, post the genomic era - in line with the new focus in scientific research on protein-hunting rather than gene-hunting.
As well as being used by undergraduate and postgraduate students, they will be used by academic and research staff who continue to pioneer research particularly into developing affordable treatment for AIDS-related cancer patients in third world countries.
Some of the main features of the new laboratories are:
- Mass spectrometry and electron microscope suite - housing all new Shimadzu Krytos AXIMA CFR MALDI-TOF MS; LC-MS 2010A and GC-MS QP5050A instruments and a scanning electron microscope.
- Biomedical Science teaching laboratory – A fifty-student capacity facility for hands-on laboratory skills teaching.
- Molecular biology research laboratory housing real-time PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction -multiplication of a small part of a gene), and gene sequencing, as well as 2D gel electrophoresis and gel visualisation and analysis equipment.
- Tissue culture research laboratory – three class II biological safety cabinets, video microscopy and full height roller bottle and standard CO2 incubators
- Histology research laboratory – housing cryostats, standard microtomes and Fluorescence microscopy imaging equipment
- General biochemistry research laboratory – housing immunoassay, Chromatography (separation techniques -separating mixtures and molecules), CZE, HPLC, FPLC, LC and general separation equipment.
A levels 280 tariff points including two A2s preferably in Biology or Chemistry , plus GCSE grades A-C in Maths and English Language. Or: BTEC National Diploma/VCEs/International Baccalaureate/Progression Advanced Diplomas/Access to Science Course at equivalent tariff to the above. Applications from candidates without formal qualifications are welcomed, provided they can demonstrate appropriate levels of relevant ability and experience.
English language requirements
You must have competence in English language and we normally require Grade C GCSE or an equivalent qualification. The most common English Language requirements for international students are IELTS 6.0 (with minimum 5.5 in all four components) or TOEFL internet based 72 (with at least 17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 14, 2018