Professional Recognition: Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) Intake: January / August Duration: 4 Years Fees: RM 48,345.00
Pass STPM / Matriculation / A-level / Pre-University Programme or its equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50 in the following subjects:
- Biology / Physics
And 5 credits or equivalent at the SPM level, 3 of which in the following subjects:
- English Or
Related Diploma from recognized institutions with minimum CGPA of 2.75; Or Related diploma from recognized institutions with CGPA below than 2.75 and a minimum of 3 years (36 months) working experience in the same field.
English Proficiency for Foreign Students: Candidates should have IELTS (6.0) / TOEFL (550) paper-based or equivalence.
Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program provides an opportunity for education and training in all of the major disciplines of medical laboratory sciences. The program is designed to provide a vocationally oriented qualification, which will prepare graduates for employment in diagnostic laboratory, medical research, biotechnology, biological manufacturing or the pharmaceutical industry. The complexity of tests performed, the level of judgment needed, and the amount of responsibility they assume depend largely on the amount of education and experience they have. MLS are health care professionals who are concerned with the diagnosis, management, and prevention of disease through the use of clinical laboratory tests. They perform complex biochemical, hematological, histological, cytological, immunological, and bacteriological analyses on specimens obtained from patients in hospitals and other related healthcare institutions.
Technologists also perform microscopic examination of blood specimens and other body fluids. They make cultures of body fluid and tissue samples, to determine the presence of bacteria, fungi, parasites, or other micro-organisms. To maintain the integrity of the laboratory process, the medical technologists should also be able to recognize factors that could introduce error and reject contaminated or sub-standard specimens.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate and apply advanced level knowledge in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Competently perform and supervise medical laboratory procedures; validate findings appropriately; and plan, manage and execute quality management systems and good laboratory practices (GLP)
- Demonstrate sensitivities and responsibilities towards the community, culture, and environment
- Adhere to the legal, ethical and professional code of conduct in medical laboratory sciences and practice according to biological, chemical and radiation safety requirements and regulations
- Present information and findings coherently; effectively communicate verbally and in writing with patients, their family/caregiver, peers, healthcare professionals and the stakeholders at large; demonstrate leadership, interpersonal and social skills; as well as collaborate with other healthcare professionals
- Evaluate and recommend new medical laboratory methodologies and instrumentation; seek, adapt and provide solutions to address challenges in Medical Laboratory Technology; utilize relevant techniques and identify problems and solutions based on critical and lateral thinking; as well as conduct research related to Medical Laboratory Technology under supervision
- Utilize computer technology and information management systems to enhance their practices, and apply lifelong learning skills and principles in academic and career development
- Coordinate daily activities of the medical laboratory; apply broad business and real-world perspectives in the workplace and everyday activities, and demonstrate entrepreneurial skills in their practice
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 3, 2017