- Duration (years): 4
- Qualification Awarded: Nutrition and Dietetics (BSc, 4 years).
- Level of Qualification: 1ος Κύκλος (Πτυχίο - Bachelor’s)
- Language of Instruction: Greek
- Mode of Study: Full Time and Part Time
- Minimum Credits: 124
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 240
Profile of the Programme:
The aim of the programme may be summarised as : to produce, through well designed and appropriate courses, adequately trained and competent graduates who are equipped for the world of work in the 21st century and who can apply their knowledge of food and nutrition/dietetics for the benefit of individuals and the public health in general across Cyprus and/or their chosen country of practice.
The programme has both an academic (theoretical and practical) skills and a dietetic market orientation. It focuses on studying and analyzing the latest trends and developments in the science of Nutrition and Dietetics.
As a student on our Nutrition/Dietetics programme you will undertake three observation placements. They are all within the standards promoted by CyRBFSTD and the relative law (N31/(i) 96 and the code of ethics for professional practice by the Cyprus Dietetic and Nutrition Association. The observation placements could be in either an acute hospital or private clinic or a community setting or private settings or foodservice facilities.
During a 4-week placement at the end of 1st and 2nd year, the student will find out more about the working environment experienced by a dietitian, the way they work and the other health professionals they work with. You will start practising some of the skills required. You will also undertake two six-week placements during the 3rd and 4th year, at the end of which the student will be managing his/her own small workload. The first placement will give the chance to apply the theoretical knowledge gained through the studies. The second placement is designed to consolidate the knowledge, skills and attitudes, as well as to further develop them with more complex cases and situations. The placements are fully integrated with the academic part of your programme, allowing gaining practical experience that enhances your learning. During your placements, trained supervisors will help the students to develop and learn.
Our Professional Training tutor will help organise your choice of placement and you will be visited by academic staff, normally three times, during your placement. Companies and institutes that can offer placements include pharmaceutical, food industry, health agencies.
A high proportion of our Nutrition/ Dietetic graduates will continue to work in the area, for example entering nutrition research institutes throughout the world.
In view of the growth of public interest in food and health, properly qualified nutritionists/ dietitians are highly sought after. They can be employed by consumer groups, food retailers, government and the food industry and others become food and health journalists.
Graduates in Nutrition/ Dietetics are eligible to apply for Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics or for MSc in Clinical Dietetics. Dietitians work in a variety of locations and in a diverse range of roles. Following graduation, most dietitians work in the private practice or in community and primary care. Many then go on to specialise in a particular area, such as diabetes, obesity, nutritional support or public health.
However, there are many other exciting roles including management, research and education or working freelance. Some go on to pursue further studies (e.g. MSc, PhD).
Our graduates can work in health promotion. There are also attractive opportunities in the food industry, such as working for major food and supermarket companies, in research, and in education and the media.
Our Nutrition/Dietetic graduates can have attractive career prospects in the food industry, health service, research, and in education and the media.
Our graduates will follow the standards of the Cyprus law for the registration of Dietitians (N31/I(96), and can be eligible to apply for registration to the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientist, Technologists and Dietitians (CyRBFSTD).
Access to Further Studies:
There is a growing need in Cyprus for the discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics. The Nutrition and Dietetics degree provides students with a curriculum well grounded in the basic sciences, with the practical application of the principles of health sciences to the science of Nutrition. The program is designed to meet the requirements for application to professional schools such as medical, dental, physical therapy, and other paramedical programs. This option also prepares students for postgraduate studies in Clinical Dietetics.
By the end of the programme the graduates will be able to:
- Express a broad understanding of food composition
- Demonstrate understanding of how common foodstuffs are produced/manufactured
- Critically evaluate the safety of food both for individuals and for specific populations
- Extrapolate the influence of food composition on human health and well-being
- Identify the role of diet in disease prevention and the promotion of optimum health
- Critically evaluate the risks of consuming an inappropriate diet in a range of populations e.g. pregnant women, children and old age
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge to critically consider the scientific literature related to the fields of food and nutrition
- Demonstrate an understanding of policy issues concerned with nutrition in relation to public health and the ways in which these may be influenced
- Assess the scientific and social theory and concepts in the context of food, culture, diet and nutrition
- Develop their critical analysis skills, IT, communication and presentation skills as well as a life-long learning approach for career development in the nutritional sciences.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2017