The BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science degree at Cardiff Met is professionally accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science and the Royal Society of Biology and is designed to enable students to develop, integrate and apply scientific knowledge, understanding and skills to the multi-disciplinary investigation of human disease and disorders, such as diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Graduates will also be equipped to find employment in a variety of contexts, including pathology laboratories, research laboratories, the food industry, forensic science, pharmaceuticals, health and safety, commerce and teaching. In addition, many of our graduates have gone on to study for higher degrees, including graduate entry medicine and dentistry degrees, and further professional qualifications.
This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology for the purpose of meeting in part the academic and experience requirement for Membership and Chartered Biologist (CBiol).
Common First Year
Please note that the BSc Biomedical Science degree and the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences with Health, Exercise & Nutrition degree share a common first year. On successful completion of the first year, students can decide which degree to follow from year two onwards.
Learning & Teaching
Employability & Careers
Entry Requirements & How to Apply
Applicants should normally have five GCSEs including English Language (or Welsh First Language), Mathematics* and Science at grade C or above / grade 4 or above (for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England) plus one of the following:
- 56 points from at least 2 A level qualifications or their equivalent at an appropriate standard for entry into Higher Education at Year 1, but in subject areas which fail to meet the entry requirements for their intended undergraduate degree programme.
- 56 points from at least 2 A level qualifications or their equivalent in subject areas relevant for their intended undergraduate degree programme, but at a standard which fails to meet the entry requirements to Higher Education at Year 1.
- Prospective students who do not meet the above criteria may be considered on an individual basis and may be called for interview.
For specific information on entry requirements or if your qualification isn't listed, please either contact Admissions or refer to the UCAS Course Search. Further information on our entry requirements, including qualifications from the EU can be found by clicking here.
Applicants who wish to undertake this course without the foundation should have five GCSEs including English Language (or Welsh First Language), Mathematics* and Science at grade C or above / grade 4 or above (for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England) plus 112 points from at least 2 A levels (or equivalent). Typical offers may include :
- 112 points from at least 2 A levels to include grades CC in Biology and an equivalent Science; Welsh Baccalaureate – Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate considered as a third subject (equivalent sciences include Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, IT, Maths, Food Technology, Environmental Science or Geography)
- RQF BTEC National Extended Diploma/Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma DMM within Applied Science
- 112 points from at least 2 Scottish Advanced Highers to include grades DD in Biology and an equivalent Science (including Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, IT, Maths, Food Technology, Environmental Science or Geography)
- 112 points from the Irish Leaving Certificate at Highers to include grade H2 in both Biology and an equivalent Science (including Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, IT, Maths, Food Technology, Environmental Science or Geography). Higher level subjects considered only with a minimum grade H4
- 112 points from the Access to Higher Education Diploma within a Science subject covering sufficient Biology
- Cardiff Metropolitan University Foundation leading to BSc Health Sciences programme
*For Welsh applicants sitting the reformed Mathematics GCSE, we will accept either GCSEMathematics or Mathematics – Numeracy.
About the School
Located in an exciting, modern European capital city, Cardiff Metropolitan University is a global university. We are continually investing in our students' future and provide education and training op ... Read More