THE LAW ESTABLISHING THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The Education (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions (amendment) Decree 1993, otherwise known as Decree No 9 of 1 st January 1993 is the law under which Certificate No. 0001 of April 24th, 1999 was issued by the Honourable Minister of Education on behalf of the Federal Military Government.
Objectives of the College
- To organize and offer courses of instructions leading to degrees, diplomas, certificates and other university qualifications and distinctions in medical studies and such related studies as may be prescribed by the Senate.
- To organize and provide training and courses whether leading to university qualifications or not for such persons as may be prescribed by Senate.
- To arrange and organize conferences, seminars, studies in the interest of public erudition.
- To tackle the problem of acute shortage of medical personnel in Nigeria, Africa and the world at large.
- To fill the gap created by the brain drain of medical personnel in Nigeria.
- To encourage medical research in all fields of medical endeavor.
- To ensure maintenance of quality and standards in Medical Education both at a graduate and postgraduate level.
- To give qualitative medical education both at a graduate and postgraduate level in order to produce efficient and highly skillful doctors dedicated to the Primary Health Care delivery; and to the teaching of Medical Sciences.
- To produce doctors who will uphold the highest ethical standard of the profession.
- To perform any other function as shall be prescribed by the Senate of the University. In line with the mission of the University which is to develop the human mind to be creative, innovative, research-oriented, competent in areas of specialization, knowledgeable in entrepreneurship and dedication to service, the Medical Laboratory Science Department offers courses leading to the award of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS) Honours degree. Medical Laboratory Science is a promising and dynamic profession that is designed to provide broad bases of fundamental scientific knowledge and its application such that the graduates are well prepared to meet with changing needs of modern scientific knowledge considering their pivotal role in the Healthcare delivery system. The training exposes students to the application of Medical Laboratory Science in key areas such as clinical diagnostic services, food, and beverages, pharmaceutical industries, Breweries, utility departments e.g. Water Corporation, academic and research institutions. The training also exposes students to Basic Medical Sciences and to core areas like Clinical Chemistry, Haematology/Blood Transfusion Science, Medical Microbiology/Parasitology, Histopathology, Immunology/Immunochemistry, as well as Laboratory Management and Instrumentation. Mode of admission is by UME (5- year program) and by direct entry (4- year program).
Students accepted for the BMLS program are expected to register with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) and be indexed as student Members soon after admission into the program. On successful completion of the BMLS program, induction into the profession and mandatory one-year internship preceding NYSC program, graduates are registered as Associate of Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (A.M.L.S.C.N.) with the professional body, MLSCN, subject to meeting its other requirements.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAM
The Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science degree is designed to:
- Highlight the central role that laboratory investigation of components of biological fluids, blood, urine, cerebrospinal fluid, secretions, excretions, tissues or organs, play in the diagnosis, management, and prognosis of disease states.
- Have sufficient management ability to play a leadership role in the training and practice of Medical Laboratory Science.
- Enable students to acquire the required expertise to produce biological and diagnostic reagents as well as fabricate equipment, repair or even modify existing ones and update old techniques or invent new diagnostic procedures.
- To uphold the academic standards stipulated by the Igbinedion University, Okada.
- To organize and offer courses and other related studies to undergraduate students as may be prescribed by the Nigeria University Commission (NUC), Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) and Senate of the University, leading to the award of the degree of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS).
- To assist students in learning to solve problems by exposing them to problem situations and by solving them in research projects.
- To train and develop undergraduate students to fill the manpower needs of the country in Medical Laboratory Science.
- To graduate professional Medical Laboratory Scientists capable of providing high-quality laboratory services to individuals, families, and communities of diverse background and in a variety of social and cultural settings nationally and globally.
- To produce Medical Laboratory Scientists who satisfy international standards and who can undertake further training towards specialization.
- To train research scientists who are able to make research in the various disciplines of Medical Laboratory Science.
- Contribute to the improvement of Medical Laboratory Science practice by participating in interdisciplinary research, utilizing the research process and publishing research findings in Medical Laboratory Science practice situations.
- Entry into 100 Level.
- Candidates must also satisfy the minimum University requirements for admission and are therefore to obtain credits in English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics in SSCE or its equivalent in not more than two sittings with a relevant pass in the Joint Admission matriculation Examination (JAMB) and in the post University Matriculation Examination (Post-UME).
- Entry into 200 Level.
- Candidates holding three GCE A/L in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics plus O/L Credits in five subjects – Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English Language.
- Candidates who transfer from other faculties of the University with relevant prerequisites.
- B.Sc. degree in relevant scientific disciplines like Zoology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, etc; as approved by the Senate.
- HND in relevant fields as approved by the Senate.
- Inter and Intra- Senate University transfer in accordance to Igbinedion University admissions.
The Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science degree program shall run for five (5) years for Joint Admission Matriculation Examination candidates and four (4) years for direct entry candidates.
Program taught in:
See 3 more programs offered by Igbinedion University, Okada »
This course is