The requirements for entry into the program are that the student must:
- Submit an application and be admitted to SGSC.
- Submit an application to the School of Nursing.
- Submit official Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores.
- Take the HESI A2 Exam. (Please see the SGSC School of Nursing website for detailed instructions and program code prior to taking the examination).
- Submit copies of all transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended to the SGSC Admissions and the School of Nursing.
- Exit all learning support classes prior to enrolling in a nursing class.
To be eligible to complete the nursing program in 2 years and be considered for admission, students must have a combined minimum verbal and math SAT score of 920 or minimum ACT composite score of 20. Prospective students without college work must have a minimum high school GPA of 2.0. A minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required on all college work attempted. The non-traditional student with a GED and combined minimum verbal and math SAT of 920 or a minimum composite ACT score of 20 will be eligible to be considered for admission.
Alternative admission criteria will be evaluated for students whose combined verbal and math SAT falls below 920, ACT composite score is less than 20, or high school GPA is less than 2.0. Students may be considered for admission upon the completion of 21 semester hours of the required general education requirements for the School of Nursing. Eight of these hours must include BIOL 2210K and BIOL 2211K. A minimum overall cumulative college GPA of 2.5 is required to be considered for admission, and students must make grades of “C” or better in all required general education courses for the School of Nursing.
Prerequisites for Admission to the LPN-RN Career Mobility Course: NURS 1104
- Meet the general admission requirements for South Georgia State College and the School of Nursing.
- Possess a current unrestricted Georgia LPN license.
- Complete 27 semester hours of SGSC’s School of Nursing general education requirements before enrolling in Nursing 1104. Students must complete BIOL 2210K, BIOL 2211K, and PSYC 1101 which are included in the 27 hours. Completion of all general education courses is strongly advised before enrolling in Nursing 1104.
SGSC Nursing Program Delivery
The SGSC School of Nursing offers all ASN courses on the Douglas and Waycross campuses. The LPN-RN Bridge Course (NURS 1104) is offered at Douglas and Waycross each summer semester on a rotation basis. The SGSC School of Nursing offers the RN-BSN program in a Hybrid format on the Douglas campus. Students are required to meet on the campus periodically each semester.
ASN SCIENCE/GENERAL EDUCATION PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
A minimum grade of C is required in all science courses included in the curriculum for nursing. A student who makes less than a C in more than one required science course, including a repeated course, will not be eligible for admission to, or progression in, the nursing program. Grades of less than C in the required science courses taken at another institution will be considered the same as if taken at South Georgia State College. Academic renewal does not apply to grades of less than C in required science courses. A minimum grade of C is required in all general education courses required for the nursing major.
After receiving a letter of tentative acceptance, the student must call and schedule an orientation to nursing meeting with the Administrative Assistant for the School of Nursing. The student will be required to submit additional paperwork including but not limited to:
- SGSC School of Nursing Health History and Physical Examination – Annually
- Proof of Health Insurance - Annually
- CPR: Adult, Child and Infant (American Red Cross or American Heart Association) – Annually
- PPD or Past Positive PPD with follow-up per protocol - Annually
- PSI MyMedwise Immunizations: MMR, Varicella, TDAP, Hepatitis B Vaccine injections and titer.
- PSI Criminal Background Check and UDS – Annually
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) 2 shot series or blood titer
- Influenza Vaccine per clinical agencies every fall semester
Performance Standards for Admission to and Retention in the Associate of Science in Nursing and RN-BSN Degree Programs
A candidate for the Associate of Science in Nursing and RN-BSN degree programs must have abilities and skills of four varieties: observation, communication, motor, and behavioral. Reasonable accommodations may be made on an individual basis as directed by the Disabilities Coordinator; however, a candidate is expected to perform in an independent manner. Please read the performance standards for admission and progression in the nursing program. Sign one copy and return to the SGSC School of Nursing.
NURSING APPLICATION DEADLINES
- LPNs wishing to apply for the summer bridge program must apply to the School of Nursing after October 1 of the year prior to the year they wish to enter the bridge program. The deadline for submission of applications to NURS 1104 (Career Mobility for LPNs to RNs) is January 15.
- Students wishing to enter the ASN nursing program in fall semester must apply to the School of Nursing after October 1 of the year prior to the year they wish to enter the nursing program. The deadline for submission of applications to begin the nursing program in the fall semester is February 15.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 3, 2016