Improve your knowledge of the spread of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and how to reduce it.
Learn how to tackle antimicrobial resistance in Africa
Communicable diseases remain to be a leading cause of death in African countries (WHO). This course will look at the threat of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and how best to tackle it.
You’ll explore the burden of antimicrobial resistance in Africa and the importance of microbiology investigations in antibiotic therapy.
You’ll learn about antibiotic misuse and overuse as a driver of antimicrobial resistance and how to develop antibiotic guidelines.
Finally, you’ll evaluate the strategies that have been implemented in African hospitals and make more effective use of antimicrobials.
What topics will you cover?
- The global versus African burden of resistance, the importance of microbiology investigations before or during antibiotic therapy.
- Antibiotic misuse and overuse as a driver of antimicrobial resistance.
- Strengthening the ICAN network to support stewardship and infection prevention.
- Basic interventions /tools to support stewardship.
- How to develop antibiotic guidelines and policies.
- Incorporating antimicrobial stewardship into hospital infection control programs.
- Using Education and feedback to change behaviour for antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control.
Who is this accredited by?
This course has been accredited by the RCPath for 9 CPD points.
Royal College of Pathologists: The Royal College of Pathologists is a professional membership organisation with charitable status, concerned with all matters relating to the science and practice of pathology.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 19 October 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Evaluate the effectiveness of using the strategies, tools and interventions in AMS that have been implemented in African hospitals.
- Explore how to improve prescribing without laboratory diagnostics.
- Assess the value of networks, such as ICAN, to support stewardship and infection prevention.
- Investigate the use of laboratory support and measurement, where available, to improve antimicrobial prescribing.
- Evaluate the influence of cultural issues on prescribing habits and the value of behaviour change science in successful antimicrobial stewardship.
- Develop antibiotic guidelines and policies to suit your practice and location.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals and policymakers involved in the prevention, treatment and management of infectious diseases.
Who will you learn with?
Professor of Clinical Microbiology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Honorary consultant to the Teaching Hospital, Chairman antimicrobial stewardship and infection control programs.
Dr Iretiola Fajolu is a Senior Lecturer at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos and Consultant Paediatrician at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital. She heads the ASC in her department.
Chioma Stella Osuagwu
I am a consultant Clinical Microbiologist and a lecturer in the Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology College of Medicine, University of Lagos/ Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
Clinical Microbiologist, Infection Control Practitioner MBChB, MPH MSc, FMCPath.
Who developed the course?
Founded in 1971, the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy exists to facilitate the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge in the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy.
Infection Control Africa Network (ICAN)
Our vision is an African continent where safe patient care is ensured for all with the implementation of strong infection control programmes.
College of Medicine University of Lagos (CMUL)
A world-class research-intensive medical school, delivering teaching and facilitating learning of the highest quality, and playing a leading role in health and economic development of Nigeria.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.