Work as a Dental Hygienist in Dental Clinics as an Auxiliary Dentist
Is the person who assists the dentist in oral health pre-vention actions under the competence criteria assigned by the dentistry professional. He is also the assistant of the dentist in the process of oral patient care, who applies the biosafety norms in daily practice and deals with the administrative activities of the office.
In recent years, the dental hygienist has become a regular and often essential member of our dental practices. The dental hygienist is an assistant who assists the dentist in certain delegated functions, which have a minimal possibility of producing adverse effects.
Law 10/1986 of 17 March on dentists and other professionals related to dental health, developed by Royal Decree 1594/1994 of 15 July, defines dental hygienists as those professionals, who with the corresponding Vocational Training qualification Second Degree, they have attributed, in the field of health promotion and oral health education, the functions of data collection, the performance of health examinations and the advice of hygienic and preventive measures, individual or collective. Dental hygienists also collaborate in epidemiological studies and can also perform certain technical-assistance functions as assistants and collaborators of medical doctors and dentists.
Therefore, in collaboration with the dentist, they can perform dental exploration techniques, oral hygiene techniques, perform disinfection and sterilization of instruments, and know about the development and interpretation of radiographs.
According to the aforementioned law, the hygienists will be able to carry out the following activities in the dental consultation in technical assistance matters:
- Apply topical fluorides in their different forms
- Place and remove retractor wires
- Place crack sealants with non-invasive techniques
- Carry out the polishing of seals eliminating any excesses in them
- Place and remove the rubber dam
- Eliminate dental stains and calculations and perform detartrajes and polished.
In matters of Public Health, dental hygienists may develop the following functions:
- Collect data about the state of the oral cavity for clinical or epidemiological use.
- Practice health education individually or collectively, instructing about oral hygiene and the measures of dietary control necessary for the prevention of bucco-dental pathological processes.
- Control the prevention measures that patients perform
- Perform oral health exams of the Community
- The dental hygienists will develop the functions indicated as assistants and collaborators of the medical professionals and odontologists, excluding from their functions the prescription of prosthesis or treatments, the dosage of medicines, the extension of prescriptions, the application of anesthetics and the realization of operative procedures or restorers.
To be able to access the free tests, certain requirements must be met:
- In order to take part in the entrance exam for Middle Grade Training Cycles, the applicant must have, at least, 17 years of age or complete them in the calendar year in which the tests are carried out.
- To compete for the entrance exam to Higher Level Training Cycles, the applicant must meet any of the following conditions: Be 19 years of age, or fulfill them in the calendar year in which the tests are carried out. the natural year in which the tests are carried out, and be in possession of the Technician title belonging to one of the professional families included in the option for which you are applying for registration.
- In addition, they must prove that they meet any of the following conditions.
Have the domicile of residence in the Community of Madrid established.
Have the work address set in the Community of Madrid.
Having overcome or exempt, in the calls made by the Community of Madrid in the years 2009 or later, any of the constituent parts of the access test to which you wish to attend.
WHO IS IT DIRECTED TO ?:
To the people who want to work in dental clinics, as hygienist technicians, in direct support to the dentist.
To people who already perform their work in any of the health areas and who want to promote themselves in the workplace or assume new competences, skills and responsibilities.
The courses are structured in modules and each, in turn, is divided into Didactic Units, which make up the theoretical-practical content of the course.
Each module, tutored by a specialist teacher, combines the theoretical and practical aspects of the subject, facilitating the process of understanding and learning. The evaluation is continuous and individualized, respecting your study rhythm, with the aim of successfully passing the course.
In order that the student can evaluate and assess, at all times, their learning process in a personal and direct way, along the Didactic Units, Self-Assessment Tests are included, whose solutions appear at the end of the agenda.
In addition, each Module has its corresponding Examination Test, which the student must pass.
You will have a tutor responsible for the course and a specialist in the subject, who will assist you to solve all the doubts and questions that may arise throughout the course. If necessary in your learning process, the tutor has other auxiliary tutors responsible for other areas of knowledge.
You will also have the support of a pedagogue specialist in distance training, to reinforce your performance, who can help you solve any question related to the aspects related to the study techniques.
At the end of the studies, if you pass the course you will obtain an IEEF diploma certifying that you have satisfactorily passed the preparatory course for the free exam that allows you to obtain the title of "SUPERIOR TECHNICIAN IN BUCODENTAL HYGIENE" ( official qualification of Vocational Training approved by the Ministry of Education , obtained through presentation to the free official tests that are convened in different autonomous communities by virtue of Royal Decree 1538/2006, of December 30, which regulates the FP from 2007).
You can work in primary care centers, private dental clinics or institutions of the autonomous communities and municipalities, or any center or institution of social or health care that requires the services of:
- Dental hygienist.
- Oral hygienist.
- Specialist in Oral Hygiene.
- Health educator.
If you prefer, this course is also taught online.
About the School
IEEF nace de la ilusión y el trabajo de Carlos Lázaro que, tras dedicarse a la formación durante años, decidió desarrollar una metodología propia enfocada a lograr las dos metas principales de cualqui ... Read More