The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) course expands on the knowledge and skills of an EMT. This 113-hour course consists of didactic and hands-on skill sessions. The course includes in-depth discussion and application of skills based on anatomy and physiology, disease processes, intravenous therapy, and pharmacology. Advanced-level skills such as IV therapy and medication administration will be incorporated into the course. An additional 52 hours of hospital-based clinical and 48 hours of ambulance ride time are required. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be eligible to test for AEMT certification. Entrance Requirements for Advanced EMT:
- Must be at least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- Must be able to speak, write, and read English proficiently.
- Must be physically and emotionally capable of performing all functions and skills of an AEMT, and possess maturity of judgment and sound moral character.
- Must provide documentation of current certification in American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers.
- Must provide current State of Iowa EMT certification. A physical examination, immunization record, and completed background check are required prior to beginning the hospital clinical rotations or ambulance ride time portions of the course.
Note: A criminal background check and adult/dependent abuse checks will be required. Drug testing may also be required by individual agencies. Results of these checks will be used by contracted clinical facilities to determine clinical eligibility. Costs for background checks will be included in tuition costs. All other costs will be the responsibility of the student. Upon successful completion of the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician curriculum with a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher and a minimum overall cumulative college grade point average of 2.00 (C), the student is awarded a Certificate.
EMS-237 Advanced Emergency Medical Technician 8 s.h.
About the School
North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) is a nationally-ranked, two-year institution located in North Central Iowa that serves students of all ages and abilities. Starting in 1918 as Mason City Juni ... Read More