The 4 year MD degree program is designed for applicants who have completed a Bachelors degree in Sciences or the necessary prerequisites. It consists of 2 academic years of Basic Sciences followed by 2 more years of Clinical Clerkship. Basic Sciences are conducted on our campus in Dominica while Clinical Clerkships take place in teaching hospitals throughout the USA, Canada, Dominica, St. Vincent, and the UK. The 4-Year MD program can be completed in 3 years and 4 months. Admission into the 4-year program requires a Bachelor Degree or completion of at least two years of post-secondary education, which must include successful completion of premedical admission requirements such as:
- Biology - 90 semester hours
- Chemistry - 90 semester hours
- Physics - 90 semester hours
and one year of Mathematics or Calculus, English, and Humanities or Liberal Arts. The 4-year MD degree program comprises 5 semesters of instruction in Basic Medical Sciences in Dominica followed by 72 weeks of clinical clerkships.
To be eligible for an award of MD degree students must complete ALL the graduation requirements of All Saints University, Dominica. These include:
- Successful completion of 5 semesters of Basic Medical Sciences
- Successful completion of 72 weeks of approved clinical clerkships/rotations at affiliated or approved teaching hospitals
- Successful completion of a National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) administered exit examination for Basic and Clinical Sciences, or;
- Successful completion of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1 and 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK). In lieu of the USMLE, a student may complete the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) conducted by the Medical Council of Canada. In exceptional circumstances, a student may be permitted to skip any of the above-mentioned examinations (USMLE/MCCEE) provided he/she completes comparable examinations by a national examination body of the country where the student intends to practice. This will be treated on a case by case basis.
- A student must be in good standing. He/she must receive clearance from different departments of the University, including accounts department, the registry, laboratories and the library. He/she must also be of good conduct and character.