Join UEA's award-winning online Specialist Clinical Mastership in Regional Anaesthesia; Europe's highest qualification taught by practicing RA consultants
What does this course offer?
- Developed with support from the RCoA, AAGBI and RA-UK and a large specialist faculty, we offer a unique solution to the training problems facing specialists looking to progress in Regional Anaesthesia
- Using an innovative online delivery, developed in-house over five years by a specialist team at Norwich Medical School, you’ll experience a challenging and rewarding educational experience
- The Specialist Clinical Masterships (SCM) course is highly flexible and tailored specifically around the working lives of busy RA practitioners
- Most teaching and learning is via our dedicated Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which hosts a thriving online community of specialists from all over the world
- Our focus on assessment of skills combined with the rapid development of critical thinking and communication earned the SCM programme the Gold award in 2013 for ‘Best Online Distance Learning Programme’. The Masters and PG Diploma are the only courses to formally qualify specialists in Regional Anaesthesia.
Your online learning experience
As an SCM student you’ll engage fully online, in discussions on realistic cases, supported by continual assessments of your expert knowledge, critical thinking and decision-making
All participation is asynchronous so you will never need to log on at set times
Each tutor-mediated forum discussion takes on a life of its own, fuelled by the growth of shared reading, personal experience and tutor guidance, all contributed at convenient times as the week progresses
Each topic brings new expertise and insights that are directly applicable to your own cases In addition to online learning, if you are an EU or UK student you’ll attend face to face training days with tutors every 16 weeks in addition to workshops and a research days; all training days are recorded and made available online to our international students.
What experience do I need?
The course is highly rigorous, but incredibly rewarding for a motivated candidate wishing to progress quickly in this specialist field. We accept trainees Post FRCA (or the equivalent), ST2 and Career Grade Doctors with 2 yrs experience or Consultant Anaesthetists from the UK and worldwide.
Past students have cited a swift progression to more senior positions from having undertaken the Masters course. In particular, students report greater confidence and influence with peers and senior colleagues. You can expect to be able to apply knowledge and skills gained on the course directly to cases within weeks of starting.
We take assessment very seriously. There is a formal exam (2 papers) during each of the first two years for all Diploma and Masters students. Our international students sit the exam in their home countries. We also hold an OSCE exam, hosted in the UK for all Masters students to demonstrate their (non-invasive) procedural knowledge in planning and decision-making. All Masters students are monitored, through log-book review and DOPS, to ensure they have the necessary block experience required to qualify for the MSc.
- Degree Subject: MBBS or overseas equivalent
- Degree Classification: Pass, Merit or equivalent
- Special Entry Requirements: GMC accredited, Post FRCA (or the equivalent), ST2 and Career Grade Doctors with 2 yrs experience or Consultant Anaesthetists.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 17, 2015