Online Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
The state of the family is changing as society continues to evolve in the 21st century. Marriage and family therapists are driven to understand the unique relationship dynamics existing between families and society to form holistic patient treatment plans that pay close attention to the dynamics of the family system.
The marriage and family therapy (MFT) profession has gained ground in recent years with the increased recognition and understanding of the relationship between marital and family dysfunction and serious mental and emotional disorders such as chemical dependency, substance abuse, eating disorders, disorders of childhood and adolescence and other forms of psychopathology.
Marriage and family therapy differs from other mental health professions because of its focus on the following:
- Treating couples and families and the family as a system.
- Present day problems instead of historical or intra-psychic conflicts.
- Understanding interpersonal relationships as a way of identifying and treating mental health problems.
Touro University Worldwide’s (TUW) marriage and family therapy graduate program helps you meet the demands of a new health care market influenced by the Health Care Reform Act, which has created a push for using health care teams when treating patients. Marriage and family therapists will be valuable members of these teams and will deliver holistic treatment plans that focus on family relationships and dynamics. Graduates can work in mental health agencies, government agencies or in their own private practice.
TUW’s fully online marriage and family therapy graduate program delivers a course of study focused on this mental health sector and prepares graduates to function in this critical discipline to foster the well-being of couples and families.
The Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) program at Touro University Worldwide is approved by the California Board of Behavior Sciences (BBS), and is designed so that graduates are eligible for MFT Licensure in the State of California (and most other states) without requiring any additional coursework.
*Disclaimer: Enrollment in the MFT programs does not guarantee a degree from Touro University Worldwide or qualification for professional licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements is outlined in the university catalog. Students enrolled in the MFT counseling licensure program are responsible for knowing the information from TUW. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not the program, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state board of marriage and family therapy.
TUW’s tuition is $500 per semester credit unit. A range of tuition assistance programs is available to prospective students to help reduce the out-of-pocket expenses associated with continued education, including scholarships and students loans. Many employers offer tuition assistance programs, so speak with your human resource representative to find out if additional financial support is available to you. Touro University Worldwide tuition assistance counselors are available to determine your eligibility for financial aid and other tuition assistance programs.
Students must complete 18 courses and two additional clinical practicum courses for a total of 60 semester credits. There are six terms per academic year, each comprising eight weeks. Curriculum consists of courses that provide a quality master’s degree in marriage and family therapy and qualifies students to apply for licensure as a marriage and family therapist.
Students seeking to attend in TUW must meet one of the following criteria to be considered for admission:
- Have earned a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Transfer student from another college/university’s graduate program in good academic standing (minimum GPA of 2.75).
- Submit an application to the University.
- As a non-profit organization committed to serving the underserved, Touro University Worldwide has waived the $60 application fee for all prospective students.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended. Transcripts must come directly from the issuing institutions. Students who completed college coursework outside the United States must have their transcripts translated and evaluated. (See Foreign Credit for additional information.) Students are required to complete step 3 by the end of their first term of enrollment.
As a non-profit institution committed to serving the underserved, Touro University Worldwide has waived the $60 application fee for all prospective students.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 1, 2016