The graduate nursing program builds upon and expands the knowledge, values and skills of the baccalaureate prepared nurse. The College offers two options of advanced study leading to a Master of Science in Nursing degree.
- Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (Adult/Gero or Family)
- Nursing Education
In addition to specialty courses which prepare for expanded clinical roles in adult/gero health or family health, the student gains experience with research, health care policy, nursing theory, clinical problem solving/critical thinking and creativity.
Upon completion of the MSN program, the graduate will be able to:
- Foster change in health care delivery systems through translation of evidence in practice
- Assume leadership in fostering collaborative interprofofessional care teams to integrate care service across the health care system
- Participate in lifelong learning to promote excellence and to design innovative models of nursing practice
This program will prepare you to work in primary health care settings such as family practice, internal medicine, senior clinics, and college health. This program is not intended to prepare you for emergency room or urgent care settings as these are best suited to preparation via an acute care nurse practitioner program.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MSN DEGREE
- Completion of a minimum of 38-47 credits at the graduate level
- A graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher is required in all graduate nursing courses
- Successful completion of a Comprehensive Exam or Thesis
- Completion of degree requirements within six years
MSN ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Completion of an accredited (programatic) baccalaureate degree in nursing program including prerequisite undergraduate courses:
- Introduction to Statistics
- Nursing Research
- Health Assessment
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate course work and BSN GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Curriculum Vitae or Resumé
- 3 Letters of Recomendation
- Current unrestricted Registered Nurse license from the state where you practice during practicum rotations
- Passing score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if your native language is not English
- Submission of all required application materials by posted deadlines
NOTE: Prospective graduate students must possess skills in computer technology (e-mail including attachments, word processing i.e., MS Word, presentation software i.e., MS PowerPoint).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 1, 2016