America’s First Dual Master’s Degree in TCM
Texas Health and Science University (THSU) is pleased to announce the first dual master’s degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) available in the U.S. Students can earn their Master of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine from THSU in the U.S. and their Master of Acupuncture & Tui Na from Zhejiang Chinese Medical University (ZJCMU) in China. ZJCMU determined that THSU’s curriculum is similar to the TCM curriculum taught in China, which is why the dual degree was approved. Our first class of dual master’s students begins in Fall of 2011.
WHEN CAN A STUDENT ENROLL IN THE DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM?
Students must start the dual degree program in September. This is to ensure that students who initially enroll in ZJCMU will have enough of the foundations to persevere in their studies abroad. If a student does not register for the program in September, but would like to enroll at a future date, then the student must wait until the next September to do so.
WHAT DOES A STUDENT DO TO OBTAIN THEIR DUAL DEGREE?
During the first year of enrollment, students visit ZJCMU for two weeks. Students will enter the role as observer as they follow instructors at ZJCMU’s hospital.
In the second year, ZJCMU will send representatives to THSU to guide students as they prepare their graduate thesis.
In the last year enrolled in the dual degree program, students will spend one month in China as an intern in ZJCMU’s hospital, treating patients. Students must also successfully defend their thesis. After completion of three years with concurrent enrollment at both institutions, students will earn their dual master’s degrees from THSU and ZJCMU.
MASTER DEGREE PROGRAM ADMISSION
All students must be first accepted by THSU before enrolling in the dual degree program. The dual degree program is being administrated jointly by THSU and International Education College (IEC) Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, Zhejiang, China.
- NON-CHINESE CITIZENS, WITH FOREIGN PASSPORT.
- THSU STUDENT.
- WITH GOOD MORALITY AND HEALTH.
Application Process and Details
- Application – Completion of the THSU School Application
- Application – Completion of the Dual Degree Application
- Teaching Medium – English
- Duration – 3.3 years
- Cost – Tuition: $10,000 for three years in addition to THSU standard tuition.
- (Students must pay for their own airplane tickets, room & board, teaching materials, books, medical service, travel health insurance, etc.)
- Enrollment – Students must be first accepted and enrolled at THSU. IEC will finalize the enrolled students by evaluating the application documents and physical examination forms, and “Admission Notice” and “Visa Application for Study in China (JW202 Form)” will be sent to the applicants enrolled by IEC. Applicants apply for X visa with admission notice and JW202 form in Chinese embassy or consulate in the home country.
- Registration – The registration time for new students is September of each year (exact date is available in Admission Notice). An Admission Notice, JW202 form and Passport are needed for registration.
- Degree Awarded – After completing all the required courses and thesis, in accordance with “the Academic Degree Regulations of People’s Republic of China “, students will be awarded a Medical Master’s Degree in Acupuncture and Tui na.
- APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
- APPLICATION FORMS
- COPY OF PASSPORT
- NOTARIZED COPY OF HIGHEST ACADEMIC DEGREE CERTIFICATE OR GRADUATION DIPLOMA, AND TRANSCRIPTION (GRADUATING STUDENTS SHOULD PROVIDE A PRE-GRADUATION CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE AUTHORITIES OF THE SCHOOL, AND PROVIDE A COPY OF THEIR DIPLOMA BEFORE REGISTRATION)
- 5 PHOTOS (2 INCHES)
- RECOMMENDATION LETTER FROM TWO PROFESSORS
- RESEARCH PLAN
- “PHYSICAL EXAMINATION FORM FOR FOREIGNERS” (THIS CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE CHINESE EMBASSY IN THE HOME COUNTRY, AND APPLICANTS CAN TAKE A MEDICAL CHECK-UP IN LINE WITH THE ITEMS REQUIRED.)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 4, 2016