University of Oulu has a long tradition in the education and research in Biomedical Engineering (BME). BME is a fast-evolving research theme under the Information Technology focus area of the University.
The International Master’s Programme in BME is research oriented to offer a strong basis for research career. The contributing departments have received excellent grades from an international research assessment panel. The education is systematized with strongly interdisciplinary approach. Master’s theses are completed in participating research groups.
The programme structure and contents is based on the most recent international recommendations for BME education. University of Oulu has actively participated in several European level projects in BME education, including BIOMEDEA, EAMBES and TEMPUS project Curricula Reformation and Harmonization in Biomedical Engineering (CRH-BME, 2009-2011).
Students of our faculty (Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering) focus on biomedical signal processing, biomedical imaging and image processing, and biomedical instrumentation. BME courses are given by:
- Faculty of Technology (2014: Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering), Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Biomedicine, Medical Technology
- Faculty of Science, Department of Physics, Biophysics
- Faculty of Technology (2014: Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering), Department of Electrical Engineering, Optoelectronics and Measurement Techniques Laboratory
After completing the Master’s degree the student is able to:
- take advantage of the basic methods of digital image and video processing, statistical pattern recognition, and machine vision to solve problems in medical image processing
- put in practice mathematical modeling and analysis algorithms for processing physiological signals
- plan a system to take advantage of measurement sensors for the measurements of biological phenomena
Occupational profiles of graduates
- Research, teaching, and specialist duties.
- Developing and testing products in the industry as well as marketing support and managerial tasks.
- Consulting on the use and procurement of products, evaluation of performance, maintenance, customization of appliances to clinical and research needs in health care stations.
- Public official tasks related to the quality control and establishment of safety standards.
General Academic Requirements
A successful applicant has obtained their first academic degree, normally a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an institution of higher education. As a rule, the Bachelor’s degree is the lower academic degree. This degree should be equivalent of at least three years of full-time studies (180 ECTS).
All applicants are required to prove a high level of proficiency in English language. All programmes ask the applicant to submit documented evidence of their level of English.
Other Admissions Requirements
Applicants are asked to submit documentation on their academic excellence, for example in the form of academic recommendation letters. Also other documents relating to the field of study are required. Contact us for more information.
Programme Specific Academic Requirements
Bachelor’s (or higher) degree in biomedical engineering, biophysics, physics, computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or other related fields.
Those who will receive their degree after the deadline of the application, but before August 2013 are eligible to apply.
General admission requirements:
- very good or excellent grades in Basic studies in Mathematical Sciences (e.g. mathematics, physics) and
- the applicant should have an university level Bachelor's degree, or equivalent university level degree, suitable for biomedical engineering studies, with very good or excellent grades.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 4, 2015