- B.S. in Environmental Health Science
- Minor in Environmental Health Science
- MPH in Public Health
Who Would be Interested in Environmental Health Science?
- Students interested in careers in public health and occupational health related fields
- Students who enjoy biology, chemistry and math
- Students interested in improving the quality of the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat
- Students wanting a rewarding career protecting human health by controlling environmental hazards
Why Environmental Health Science?
- EKU boasts the nation's premier environmental health science program and is the second largest of only 31 accredited programs in the U.S.
- More than 95% of students seeking employment find jobs either before they graduate or within two months of graduating with average salaries in the $45,000 to $50,000 range.
Learn from the Best
- Distinguished faculty in this Department sets this program apart from all others, with each professor having a minimum of 10 years professional work experience in field practice, multiple professional licenses, certifications and registrations.
- Faculty hold or have held the highest offices in their respective national organizations and are authors of numerous textbooks used in higher education/and field practice.
- All students are required to fulfill an internship requirement (EHS 463) during their senior year.
- Internship opportunities are with industry, health departments, environmental consulting companies, universities, hospitals, federal and state agencies.
- These are paying internships, generally completed during the summer in the areas of public health and industrial hygiene and safety.
- As an example, during Summer 2012, students interned in Arizona, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Washington, Colorado, Texas and of course several in Kentucky.
- Approximately 125,000 jobs are listed in the field of environmental health annually for only a few hundred environmental health graduates.
- Career opportunities are exceptional. The only roadblock to an incredible career is not being flexible and willing to move.
Job titles include:
- Industrial Hygienist
- Environmental Health Specialist
- Health & Safety Manager
- Environmental Health Officer
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
Students may select Environmental Health Science upon applying to the university.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Marathon Oil in Ohio, Texas and Georgia
- Georgia Pacific in North Carolina and Georgia
- Numerous local/district health departments in Kentucky and surrounding states
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
- OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Agency)
- FDA (Food and Drug Administration)
- Indian Health Services
- Truland in Washington, D.C.
- Boeing in Seattle, Washington
- Toyota in Kentucky
- Owens Corning in Texas
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 9, 2016