The Bachelor of Health Management (BHM) degree program is an undergraduate
degree program offered at Al-Khawarizmi International College (KIC). The program
goals at preparing a knowledgeable staff of health managers that are able to provide
services in the health management sector in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the
region and globally.
The following are the specific program goals:
• Educate future health services professionals in the primary administrative, analytic, behavioral and social/cultural competencies necessary to work effectively in diverse and dynamic health services and community based organizations.
• Merge knowledge from different sciences and disciplines such as, humanities, and management theory as a basis for problem-solving and decision-making in health care. Hence, graduates are able to demonstrate a willingness to work cohesively and communicate interpersonally with members of the interdisciplinary health care team.
• Allow students with associate’s degrees from diverse backgrounds such as health management, nursing, and paramedical technicians to obtain an advanced degree. Students completing the Associate degree with a suitable GPA score will be able to transfer to the bachelor degree program but they will need to complete additional bridging course.
The rationale of this program is to produce qualified workforce that works in hospitals, clinics, health departments, medical insurance companies, managed care companies. Graduates of this program are able to pursue and secure most management, supervisory, and executive positions in health care, business, or health care management. The combination of management skills, information technology awareness, and clinical knowledge enables the graduate to rapidly get involved in the working environment. In addition, move up to a leadership position, i.e. department manager or supervisor.
Program Learning Outcomes
The program learning outcomes are designed to be consistent with the Associate level 7 as defined in the UAE’s Qualification Framework. Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
Knowledge and Understanding
PLO1: Identify major health care systems and their characteristics to manage and apply in the health care environment.
PLO2: Describe Healthcare Process Management (HPM) in process-centric healthcare organizations to be able to respond to industry developments, reduce the risk of human error, and improve patient care.
PLO3: Demonstrate proficiency in the basic skills needed for managing a healthcare organizations including:
• Implementing new policies
• Creating a budget
• Creating a work schedule
• Managing interpersonal conflicts
• Creating a disaster plan
• Conducting performance evaluations for staff.
• Hiring and firing of staff.
• Communicating with staff and facilitate meetings.
PLO4: Formulate responses to problems in management of a healthcare organization or delivery of care using legal and ethical principles.
PLO5: Employ current information technology and Health information systems to manage, maintain, and retrieve health care related data/information.
PLO6: Support skills in leadership, motivation, and team building in health management settings.
PLO7: Analyze and interpret health care data to make decisions that incorporate the importance of sustainability.
PLO8: Utilize interpersonal and communication skills that build cooperative working relationships in the health care profession.
PLO9: The ability to critically develop and review an argument drawing upon proper evidence, literature and theories
PLO10: Effectively present concepts through oral and written communication skills in English or visually through illustrative and technical rendering.
PLO11: Evaluate and utilize appropriate investigative and research strategies, Internet sources and software applications when developing a body of work, design brief or seeking inspiration.
PLO12: Work effectively as a contributing team member respectful of cultural diversity and individual differences.
PLO13: Establish safe working practices for self and others relative to equipment and machinery, handling of product, disposal of materials and relevant legislation.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 17, 2016